Friday, November 28, 2008

CNN News-"How to Keep Your Brain Young"

I was listening to CNN and they listed the things that we can do to keep our brains young.
Here are the top 3 things:
1. Antioxidants- Eat more of these. They are found in brightly colored fruits and vegetables. Also found in many vitamin supplements.
2. Take Fish oil supplements.
3. Play brain games, examples:
a. learn a foreign language
b. suduko
c. crossword puzzles
d. computer games.

So, I personally had to evaluate how I measure up. These are the things I'm doing to keep my brain healthy.
1. In addition to trying to eat more vibrant fruits and vegetables...I take a supplement by Pharmanex. I got interested in it a few years ago because the company had a scanner that could measure the antioxidants in the body. I measured my antioxidant levels before I started taking the product and then again about a month later and my antioxidant levels significantly improved. Although I no longer have a scanner available to measure my antioxidant levels, I do believe that the product works. For those who are interested, I do carry the product LifePak in the Medspa. It runs about $99.00/mo.
2. I started taking fish oil last year. I also try to eat salmon a couple more times a month. I really need to eat it about once a week.
3. As far as brain games....I have been learning spanish by downloading a podcast from itunes called "Coffee Break Spanish". Go to www.coffeebreakspanish.com for more information. I have never completed a suduku puzzle, so I can't speak to that, but a lot of people find this activity very enjoyable. I also love to play Nancy Drew computer games with my girls.